Toddler’s Life in Danger After Consuming Slushy at Popular Trampoline Park in Bluewater Shopping Centre: Mother Urges Awareness and Safety Measures

Toddler's Life in Danger After Consuming Slushy at Popular Trampoline Park in Bluewater Shopping Centre: Mother Urges Awareness and Safety Measures

Child’s Life in Danger After Consuming Slushy at Popular Trampoline Park in Bluewater Shopping Centre

A fun day at the trampoline park turned into a nightmare for one mother when her two-year-old daughter fell unconscious after drinking a slushy. Marcelle Richards, 30, took her daughter Rielle to Gravity trampoline park at Bluewater shopping centre in Greenhithe when the terrifying incident occurred.

After leaving the parent and toddler hour at the park, Rielle started complaining of a tummy ache. Marcelle initially thought her daughter was just hungry, so they went to eat at Wagamamas. But suddenly, Rielle went limp and unresponsive, and Marcelle knew something was seriously wrong.

In a panic, Marcelle rushed her daughter to a nearby Boots store, where staff called for first aiders and an ambulance. According to Marcelle, the paramedics said that if she hadn’t acted quickly, Rielle would have died.

The young girl was unconscious for 90 minutes before finally regaining consciousness at Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford. Thankfully, she is now recovering, but Marcelle was told by the paramedics that if she had not brought Rielle in, her organs would have started to shut down, and she may have never woken up.

Marcelle revealed that she had been advised by the staff member who sold her the slushy that it was not suitable for children under four, but she thought it was because of the high sugar content. She is now calling for more education for parents on the dangers of these drinks and believes that venues should not be selling them, especially with unlimited refills.

The Food Standards Agency has issued guidance stating that children under four should not be sold slushy drinks, and those under 10 should only have one. This is due to the risk of glycerol intoxication, which can cause shock, low blood sugar, and loss of consciousness in young children.

Marcelle stayed in the hospital overnight with Rielle, fearing for her daughter’s life. She is now sharing her story to raise awareness and prevent other parents from going through a similar terrifying experience.

The FSA has urged manufacturers to reduce the levels of glycerol in these drinks, and some have already taken steps to do so. A spokesperson for Gravity stated that they have reviewed and updated their advice to customers with young children in light of the FSA’s guidance. They also continue to work with local authorities to ensure the safety of their customers.

Marcelle is grateful that her daughter is now safe and recovering, but she hopes that her story will serve as a warning to other parents to be cautious about what their children consume. As the saying goes, “better safe than sorry,” and in this case, quick action may have saved Rielle’s life.

The text and images in this article are generated with the assistance of AI and may contain errors. Please verify any important information as we cannot accept any responsibility for incorrect information.

Scroll to Top